Semana de la Fiesta Salsera

Hi everybody. This is Emily from Notorious MLE. I’ll be guest-posting for the week and before I start I’d like to wish a very Happy Birthday to the lovely author of this blog, the very kind and generous “Colombian Mommy”.

Many of you might not know that in addition to authoring this amazing resource she also has helped many families along the journey to bring their children home. She was my anchor in the storm during our adoption process and so this week I am throwing a SALSA party in her honor. Won’t you all join me?

Salsa is a really important part of Colombian culture. If you go to a family party, you salsa. If you go to a high school dance, you salsa. All Colombians know how to salsa at least a little bit and some are truly amazing dancers.

I used to be a Salsa Dance Instructor and this week I’m going to teach you all you need to know to have a dance party with your Colombianitos at home or a fun night out!

I’ll be back tomorrow with an overview of the different types of dances you might encounter at a salsa club but until then feel free to leave a comment with any questions you might want me to answer.

Comments

Test.Martz said…
Emily, glad to see you guest posting this week. So, I have a question about salsa for you...I have taken salsa lessons here in the states on numerous occasions. I have even taught my husband so when we visit my family in Cali he would be familiar with it since in Cali - that is all they do! However, I have noticed that what they teach here is nothing like the salsa do they in Cali. I'm baffled. How can we learn "colombian" salsa so when we go, we will transition right in with everyone? Do you how the steps are different? I noticed we learn front to back steps. In Colombian no one dances front to back - it is all side to side. Help! ;-)
Notorious MLE said…
Hi Nat, That's a great question! In the states people tend to dance Cuban/Puerto Rican style which is front to back. In Colombia people dance Cumbia style which is the same basic step except done side to side/in a circle. Cali especially has an even more distinct style with such beuatiful and intricate footwork.

If you want to help your husband learn Salsa I think it's okay for him to take lessons in the states where he will learn on the slot because it's essentially the same step and the hardest part to learn is rythmn of the step. not actually where to put your feet. The basic step used in Colombia is usually taught as a variation move and the best way to describe it if you were asking a teacher would be "cumbia style" Does that make sense?

Probably not! It's hard to explain dance in words. Perhaps in the future I can make a video for dancing Colombian style salsa!

Popular posts from this blog

Popular Colombian Names

Most Common Last Names in Colombia

La Madremonte